Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today I thought what do I really accomplish in a day. So, lets see my typical day is I get up between 5am and 6am, I shower, get myself together, get my son ready for school, iron everyone'c clothes, fix breakfast, feed the dog, make lunches, take my son to school and whatever else comes in between before 7:30 am. At 7:45, I drive Myles to school, drop him off and depending on what else I need to get done I am back home by 8:15, then I am checking work related emails, scheduling meetings, working, making family plans, attending work meetings, board meetings or whatever before the school day ends.I pick Myles up at 2:30-2:45, do whatever needs to happen, home for homework, cooking dinner, cleaning, bathing and everything else that comes along with it. Then onto the computer again to check work, maybe blog, maybe play a game and do something to entertain myself. Sometimes it wounds up being volunteer work because of the work I am signed up for in the community. Its not easy to say the least. My days are filled with some type of work and obligation. Today I had to tell a group something about myself, and all I could talk about was my new adventure with food and doing some personal parties and personal cheffing. It never crossed my mind to talk about eh 4 boards of directors that I presently serve on. Maybe because those are the things I do to stay invested in my community and are passionate about. All I wanted to talk about was my love for food and making people happy. One day I will figure it all out, how do we find happiness, eat healthy and give back to the community that you live in. We all have some part in it all. If its buying sustainable foods, decreasing waste, etc. Donating your time, talents and treasures to you community. There is always something that needs to be done. There will always be the haves and the have knots. There will always be people in need. Its has been like this since the beginning of time. We can all make a difference to some degree. We may not be able to change the world. but we can help one person at a time.

One of my goals this year is to reduce food waste. As much as I like to cook, I realized we threw away a lot of food. So one of my goals is to figure out what can I do with leftovers, can I freeze, can I make something else out of the same ingredients. Its a work in progress to say the least to repurpose things. Many people do it with clothes and other items. I see it like this there are so many with food insecurities and I dont want to     be that person how can I learn and teach the next person to use what they have and what is in season to make healthy affordable meals for their families. I don't have all of the answers but am learning as I go. Food wise I try to use as less processed products that I can and use whats available and local to prepare my meals. Yes I am looking for others to split a cow with, buying local chickens, goat, and pork and other products. I believe that if you eat from your environment, you decrease food allergies, etc. We eat local beef, honey, chickens, etc. Call me crazy but its just my opinion which I am entitled to just like you are entitled to yours. You have to do what is best for your family and your beliefs.

People  may assume its hard to make things home made but its not really. It takes the same amount of time. I can control and monitor our intake by making things on my own. I have to be accountable to me and my family. The dinner I made tonight was pretty healthy. Pan seared Mahi Mahi with Key Lime seasoning topped with Avacado Salsa, Black Rice and Steamed brocolli. Everything was power and protein filled. The black rice was new but is supposed to be very healthy.It was a little weird to eat but yes I would eat it again.

I don't really have a This N That, except be the best you can be for whatever presents itself and always be willing to do This or That with an unexpected outcome. You never know what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment